[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Another terrorist training camp uncovered on Maluku Islands

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:22:52 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=4735

      INDONESIA

      Another terrorist training camp uncovered on Maluku Islands
      by Benteng Reges

      Residents of Haya, a mountain village in one of the Maluku islands,
torched a student hostel where suspected terrorists lived. Police Chief says
that the study centre trained people for jihad.

      Jakarta (AsiaNews) - High alert in Haya, a village located in the
mountains of central Maluku near Tehoru, where residents torched the Mujahidin
pesatren hostel, which hosted Muslim students. People burnt the structure after
police announced that the hostel's leader, Ustad Batar, was a suspected
terrorist.

      In their statement the police revealed that in the study centre people
went beyond pengajian (studying and praying) but received military training for
jihad as well. Students were largely outsiders, not from Haya itself.

      "The fire and destruction of the pesatren was carried out by almost
everyone in the village. No one could have stopped us," said Abidin Manakule, a
local resident. "People were united, fed up with these people and their shady
activities". Villagers also told the pesatren students to leave.

      Maluku Police Chief General Adityawarman confirmed tensions between Haya
residents and Mujahidin pesatren members.

      "It was clear that the pesatren students were involved in more than
pengajian but were also training for jihad," he said.

      Police detained Ustad Ahzam, right-hand man to the centre's leader, Ustad
Batar, who is still at large.

      "We don't have enough evidence to arrest him but enough to detain him for
interrogation," the general said.

      Ahzam was in possession of false ID papers.

      Police also arrested another man, Mambang Wiyono, for "possible
involvement in terrorist activities".

      In recent days, the police carried out a series of inquiries. It seems
that Haya had become a terrorist base and given refuge to Malaysian terrorist
Azahari bin Husin and to Imam Samudra and Amrozi, two of the terrorists behind
the 2002 Bali bombings, who were sentenced to death by an Indonesian court.

      "We have evidence that Imam Samudra was in Haya in 2001," Adityawarman
said.

      A local resident, who asked to remain anonymous, confirmed that Azahari
spent some time in Haya as well.

      He also spoke about how he, too, spent some time in a training camp.

      "When I was in high school, my fellow students and I got military
training. Every morning we went through exercises on the beach or on the
mountain. Our education consisted of ngaji (praying) and military training".

Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/f4eSOB/lbOLAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. http://www.ppi-india.org
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi