[nanomsg] Re: semantic of PAIR sockets...?

  • From: Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 09:30:44 +0100

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Actually with these limitations, I see little use for PAIR
>> sockets.
>
> Yes. If you leave them out, nobody will be really sad, I guess.

Actually, I had one colleague who investigated ZeroMQ for a use case
ask me about the lack of something PAIR-like. His point was mostly
that it seemed silly that ZeroMQ couldn't do the simplest thing you
could possibly want to do with sockets. He got me thinking that the
PAIR pattern is actually quite useful as a gateway drug to using more
of nanomsg, as the easiest way to replace a bare socket with nanomsg
and get some of the value of communicating in messages etc.

Cheers,

Dirkjan