[nanomsg] Re: On the use of small integers instead of pointers to identify "sockets"

  • From: Amaury Bouchard <amaury@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 14:27:05 +0200

2013/9/5 Alex Elsayed <eternaleye@xxxxxxxxx>

> FUSE is FileSystem in UsErspace. You don't put it in mainline at all, it
> has
> ports to the BSDs and OSX in literal form, and a similar system for
> Windows is
> Dokan.

Yes, it's pretty useful. Some new filesystems are released first as a FUSE
driver, and are included as kernel module after some time.

However, FUSE is a poor match for a socket API. CUSE (Character devices
> in...)
> doesn't match any better.

You're right, FUSE is designed for filesystems. But still, it could work,
and then we would be able to communicate through nanomsg sockets with
simple read() and write() system calls.
And as it's in user space, no need to add a module to the kernel (it could
be reassuring when you are using a projet still in alpha).