[nanomsg] Introduction and questions

  • From: Gonzalo Diethelm <gonzalo.diethelm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:49:04 -0400

Hello Martin et all,

I have been recently reading about nanomsg with a lot of interest; it is
nice to find my name linked somehow to the history of ZeroMQ and nanomsg,
as little as my contribution (or my organ-playing abilities!) may have
actually been. Thank you Martin for the good memories!

Somehow nanomsg managed to fly below my radar... I have a couple of
questions regarding the project:

1. Is it intended to support Win32 and Linux / UNIX as "first class
citizens"? I am referring in particular to "ipc://" support under Win32.

2. Related to #1: is nanomsg based on AIO or is it based on poll / epoll /
whatever?

3. Given the engineering roots of the project, would you say it should be
easier to delve into the code of nanomsg, than to do the same for 0mq? I
expect the answer would be "yes", but wanted to confirm. Is there any
architectural documentation / diagrams that could help a newbie get on
board?

4. Is anybody working on a Java binding for nanomsg? If not, I think I can
cook something up in a short period of time, if there is interest.

5. Has there been any discussion about reimplementing nanomsg on a
different language, rather than implementing a binding for that language? I
take this idea from JeroMQ, which implemented the whole of ZeroMQ in Java,
bypassing the need to create a JNI binding, depend on a native library,
etc. I admit I used to think this was the wrong approach, but I am not so
sure anymore... Anyway, I would be interested in exploring this alternative
for Go, if nobody is doing this.

Thanks and regards,

--
Gonzalo Diethelm