[nanomsg] Re: Adopting a CoC

  • From: Michael Powell <mwpowellhtx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 11:11:00 -0500

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Thomas Stover <cts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:45am, "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
said:

I am honestly embarrassed and shocked by this community's response to my
proposal.
I think I may need to reexamine my own assumptions around this issue.

Not to bike-shed from the casual user / list lurker perspective, but
legitimately trying to learn something here. Question for the people really
put off by this - Do you guys have jobs? What employee handbook doesn't have
something similar? Are you upset by the suggestion that you can't behave, or
the actual guidelines themselves? Or is this some international thing were
some people are truly that naive about how business and society works in so
many countries in the presence of lawyers, politicians, etc? Are you not
aware the reputation F/OSS oriented conferences are having to fight?

I show up to work because I want to. Because my good name is on the
line. Because I am a professional. Unfortunately, I've had the
privilege to witness more than one such "handbook" entirely pissed
upon (pardon my language) by those who would "swear" to uphold it.