[nama] Re: Change existing Parameters?

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:58:12 -1000

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 09:31:25PM -0600, Kevin Utter wrote:
> Hi all.  I assume you can change parameters of effects and controllers
> once they're in place?

Yes, you do that with 'modify_effect' ('mfx')

We were just talking about changes the syntax of doing that.
You'll always be able to do this:

nama> mfx AB 1 20  # set parameter 1 of effect/controller AB to 20

You have to apply controllers with 'add_controller' ('acl'),
but 'mfx' should work on both effects and controllers.
Controllers are different from operators in Ecasound,
but for Nama users, we treat them almost the same,
and they appear in the 'show_track' effects listing
immediately following the effect they modify.

> Is that where I use "set" with the parameter ID?

No, mostly you don't use 'set'. I regret that a dangerous
command intended for advanced uses is so easy to type.
And I regret that 'set bus', a common user command
is so similar to 'set'.

> If so, I don't understand the help message "set_track field value" as it
> seems you would have to choose the effect id, the parameter, and the
> value.  What am I missing here, or am I completely off base?

No, set_track (aka 'set') is dangerous, not for regular use.

Cheers,

Joel

--
Joel Roth