[muglo] Re: re apple has released

  • From: Andy Skuse <askuse@xxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:46:55 -0500

The only reason for downloading an OS update right after it has been
released would be if it is known to solve a major problem your Mac has
been experiencing, and even then you should proceed with caution. My
usual routine is to first read the list of fixes Apple provides to see
if anything might apply to problems I might be having with my Mac.
Then I watch websites like Macfixit.com and Macsurfer.com everyday to
see what issues the early adopters are having with the update,
followed by a visit to Apple's discussions site (with a large grain of
salt handy) to see what kinds of problems people are having there.
Then I go through my Applications folder to see if there are any non-
Apple programs that might have compatibilty problems with the new
update such as ProTools which is famous for being very picky with Mac
OS updates. If a Mac OS update could cause an important program to
stop working you may want to hold off until the program manufacturer
provides an update to make their program compatible with the new OS
update. After a couple of weeks, if I can see that any major issues
with the OS update have been resolved or solutions are available, then
I make a decision. And once I make that decision, I run Disk Utility
to repair the hard drive and repair permissions if required, then do a
complete backup as others have suggested, using Carbon Copy Clone or a
similarly trusted cloning app, then hunt for any third-party apps
running in the background that may cause conflicts and remove or
disable them.

Then I install the update.

It's not that I don't trust Apple's updates, it's usually the third-
party background apps or some kind of hard drive issue that messes
things up.

So the quick checklist is: Gather casualty statistics and wait until
the coast is clear, check to see if any non-Apple programs will have
compatibility issues, then check your hard drive and repair if needed,
backup, disable or remove third party background apps, and then
proceed with the update.

Andy
--
Sent from Andy's iPod