[muglo] Re: Sony 24/10/40 CD burner

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:01:12 -0400

on 9/7/02 01:10, Barry Takayesu at prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Eric:
>
> I expect that you had to buy an IDE card to go with the new burner.
> Could you tell me how much for the card?  Keep us posted on how things
> go with this recent purchase. Thanks, Eric.

Hi Barry, I hope you don't mind me responding to the list as well.

No, I didn't have to buy a card. All G3 and G4 PowerMacs use IDE as the
interface for their internal CD/DVD-ROMs/RAMs/RWs.

I don't know what Apple used in pre-G3 PPC Macs but I suspect that it was
SCSI for the CD-ROMs. For e.g., in the 52X0 the HD was IDE, but the CD-ROM
was SCSI.

As for HDs, the Beige G3 (1997) is the *last* desktop Mac to have
motherboard SCSI, but, even in it Apple used IDE HDs. With the Blue and
White G3 (1999) Apple (FINALLY) dumped the then defunct SCSI in favour of
the industry-wide standard IDE(ATA) & added FireWire as the default
high-speed interface. (yes, SCSI has its niche market, but it certainly
isn't cost-effective for single-HD computers).

With the proliferation of network servers high speed SCSI interfaces (not
the plain Jane variety used for older Macs) are making a come-back but
that's a different story.

BTO options for all the "new case" (with the easy carry handles) towers (B&W
G3 & G4s) include SCSI cards with (sometimes) internal SCSI HDs, but in no
case did Apple use SCSI for the optical drive (optical drives aren't fast
enough to flood even the slowest ATA/16 interface so the added expense for a
SCSI interface isn't justified).

The replacement procedure for CD-RWs is a cinch for all of the desktop/tower
G3 and G4s. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com has instructions for them (& for the
601/604e PowerMacs).

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>