[muglo] Re: Remote Tech Support

  • From: Eric D <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:27:27 -0500

> Hi
> anyone have a suggestion on what software to use for remote tech =20
> support from my Mac to a Win or Mac computer. I hope it is something =20
> that is easy to setup & run as some of my family & friends senior

VNC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC

Download Chicken of the VNC and you can access any Mac OS X 10.4 computer. =
You can also access 10.3 but you'll have to use a third-party VNC server (C=
hicken might have it in-built).=20

n the OS X 10.4 computer you'd like to access you have to do the following:

System Preferences:Sharing:Services
Enable "Apple Remote Desktop".
Click on "Access Privileges..."
Enable "VNC Viewers may control screen with password:" and put a SECURE pas=
sword on it (that only you know).

Mysecret or secret secret1 or password or hidden are NOT secure -- you're e=
xposing these people's computer to the web so you want to make sure that pe=
ople can't just take control of the machine.

You will need to know the person's IP address to access their computer. If =
they are DIRECTLY connected to the internet you can get that IP address fro=
m the Services panel. When you high-light the Apple Remote Desktop option i=
t tells you "Others can manage your computer using the address xxx.xxx.xxx.=
xxx".

If the computer is behind a router it may not be possible to access the com=
puter without configuring the router to forward incoming internet traffic t=
o that computer.

As for Windows, VNC is also an option. You'll have to check out the VNC ser=
vers available for Windows. The same considerations re: port forwarding app=
ly in Windows too. Alternately, if they're running Windows XP Pro (doubtful=
 given your comment) you could try out Remote Desktop by Windows (http://en=
.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol).

PS All VNC does is transmit the screen image from the host computer to the =
client computer and transmits the keyboard + mouse from the client to the h=
ost -- you're controlling the mouse & keyboard on the other computer!

PS2 There are other "better" and "faster" options but they usually require =
more $$$ or more expertise or both.
Personalize your Live.com homepage with the news, weather, and photos you c=
are about.
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx?icid=3DT001MSN30A0701=