[muglo] Macbook DVD super drive

  • From: joseph nolan <josephnolan1@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:55:40 -0400

Eurogarth,
      I had the same thing happen with my macbook at the young age of
16 mos. My son says that some forums have said that this drive should
have been recalled by apple based on the sheer number of early
deaths.  I took mine to Mostly Digital in London and the repair tag
would have been about 350 (about the same if you take it to an Apple
store for shipment to Cupertino). I did search for an external
however, and found that the superdrive that is made for the Macbook
Air is NOT compatible with any other Macbook. i did find a slim DVD
drive made by LG for about 120 bucks, but the reviews on it are
mixed.  I guess the option is to find something used or bite the
bullet and pay for the new drive and installation. I looked at the Do
it Yourself installation instructions and I think I would rather
attempt brain surgery (on myself). Good luck in your quest.
Best wishes,
Joe Nolan