[muglo] Long lost MUGLOer

  • From: Eric <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 06:08:07 +0000

Hi all, just thought I’d say boo.

Now that I’ve installed Windows 8.1 I seem to be reading MUGLO e-mails again
(they pop-up on my login screen of all places… Windows seems to think they’re
important 😊 😊 😊).

Anyway, this is a blast from the past. I don’t think I’ve been to a MUGLO/LMUG
meeting in the better part of two decades (last time, I’m guessing would have
had to be between 1992 and 1994 with perhaps a brief flurry of activity in
1998) but somehow I’ve managed to remain subscribed to MUGLO all these years.

I am ashamed to admit it on as venerable a list as MUGLO and as a Mac user from
the tender age of 9 but the computer time in our house is now 100% Windows.
Recently I (re)built computer from the ground up and installed Mac OS X 10.9 as
a challenge. The last time I was a 90%+ Mac user at home was in 2008 on Mac OS
X 10.5. Ever since it’s gone down hill to the point where I use the eMac as a
foot rest and I wasn’t even sure where I’d left the Mac Mini (it turns out it
was buried in a box).

OS X 10.9 is quite nice and it really felt like I was “coming home” when I got
it working (I’ve got an 2.9 GHz i5 in this machine… clocks in as a fast 2013
Mac Mini/mid range 2013 iMac). Nearly enough to make me yearn for a Mac again.
But, alas. My conversion to the dark side is nearly complete. My productivity
software is all on the Windows side. My work software is nearly all Windows and
I can get home versions of my work software for a pittance.

What does the future hold?

I really dislike Apple’s whole scale adoption of the app store
track-your-every-move paradigm so I doubt I’ll be returning to Mac OS X,
however much it feels like home ☹.

But, I don’t trust  Microsoft or Google either and Linux is simply too small
and too slow to evolve so I think I’m up a creek without a paddle.

This whole shift to synchronising everything on your computer with the cloud of
your operating system (& linked to your credit card) and tracking every
purchase through an app store centrally is very Orwellian. We have a whole
political philosophy devoted to vilifying government oversight but they seem to
be entirely mum on the big brother corporate surveillance state that the “big
three” have developed in the world of computers ☹.

Apple started the ball rolling with iOS but Microsoft and Google have jumped
into the water head first.

Anyway, have a great day.

Eric D. (uninterrupted member of LMUG/MUGLO/MUGLO from 1987-today 😊).