[muglo] Re: FYI - From OSX DAILY Mac Keyboard Symbols

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

What the devil is back

________________________________
 From: Frank Birch <fbirch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:11:02 PM
Subject: [muglo] FYI  -  From OSX DAILY Mac Keyboard Symbols

Making Sense of Mac Keyboard Symbols
Ever wondered what those Mac keyboard symbols mean and what they translate to?
You see them on a lot of Mac keyboards and on plenty ofkeyboard shortcut lists,
looking like strange glyphs (⌥), shapes (⇪), and bugs splattered on windshields
(⌘). They can be fairly confusing, which is why we at OSXDaily.com always try
to manually write out the key itself. Using the name of the key is becoming the
norm on newer Apple keyboards, but many pre-2011 Macs have keyboard symbols on
keys, and with really old Macs you get all symbols with no labels.
Additionally, you’ll find the symbols in drop-down menus throughout OS X, so
what the heck are they in plain english?
⌘ is the Command () key
⌃ is the Control key
⌥ is the Option (alt) key
What the devil is backtab?
----------------------------------
⇧ is the Shift key
⇪ is the Caps Lock key
fn is the Function key
Now you know, but if the symbols confuse you, don’t feel too bad about it. I’ve
been using Macs since I was a little kid and the Option and Control key symbols
have always perplexed me to the point where I’ll forget which each is, and that
is precisely why Apple is gradually moving to the labeled keys rather than
symbol keys. Simple is better.
The above list is the standard keyboard symbols for most keyboard shortcuts,
below is a more complete list of some of the symbols that appear elsewhere in
menus and the keys they map to. Thanks to Lri for posting these secondary
symbols in the comments.
Full Keyboard Symbol List:
⌘ is command

⌥ is option