[muglo] FW: FYI - From OSX DAILY Mac Keyboard Symbols - FONT Adjustment

  • From: Frank BIrch <fbirch@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:07:40 -0400

If you forward the msg, then you can edit the msg including adjusting the
font sizes. Hope this helps. Cheers f

Making Sense of Mac Keyboard Symbols
<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/osxdaily/~3/evJK2VhARS4/?utm_source=feedburn
er&utm_medium=email> Posted: 27 Mar 2012 03:38 PM PDTEver wondered what
those Mac keyboard symbols mean and what they translate to? You see them on
a lot of Mac keyboards and on plenty ofkeyboard shortcut lists
<http://osxdaily.com/tag/keyboard-shortcuts/> , looking like strange glyphs
(⌥), shapes (⇪), and bugs splattered on windshields (⌘). They can be fairly
confusing, which is why we at OSXDaily.com <http://OSXDaily.com/>  always
try to manually write out the key itself. Using the name of the key is
becoming the norm on newer Apple keyboards, but many pre-2011 Macs have
keyboard symbols on keys, and with really old Macs you get all symbols with
no labels. Additionally, you’ll find the symbols in drop-down menus
throughout OS X, so what the heck are they in plain english?

⌘ is the Command () key
⌃ is the Control key
⌥ is the Option (alt) key
⇧ is the Shift key
⇪ is the Caps Lock key
fn is the Function key

Now you know, but if the symbols confuse you, don’t feel too bad about it.
I’ve been using Macs since I was a little kid and the Option and Control key
symbols have always perplexed me to the point where I’ll forget which each
is, and that is precisely why Apple is gradually moving to the labeled keys
rather than symbol keys. Simple is better.The above list is the standard
keyboard symbols for most keyboard shortcuts, below is a more complete list
of some of the symbols that appear elsewhere in menus and the keys they map
to. Thanks to Lri for posting these secondary symbols in the comments.Full
Keyboard Symbol List:

⌘ is command

⌥ is option

⌃ is control