[muglo] Re: Default Browser & Mail (& OT Linux)

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:58:49 -0400

Yeah, I suppose you have freedom... in the sense of Ford. You can have any
colour as long as it's black. Yeah, you can paint the car later on but
unless you have the where-with-all to paint it that's all you have.

This sort of behaviour goes against the grain of what is supposed to be the
design philosphy behind the Mac OS: put things in logical and consistent
places. If it's something that affects only that application, it belongs in
the application (which was why Internet Explorer's use of a System
Folder-based preferences pane in OS 9 was wrong), if it affects everything
it belongs in the Control Panels, or now the System Preferences pane. It is
the most logical place to look since it is (a) browser agnostic and (b)
universal (relating back to browser agnostic). Plus, this is a Mac, not
Linux - you shouldn't HAVE to ask to find out something that elementary.

And... if you or someone else ends up setting another browser as default
_how_ would you ever set another browser as default without having to fire
up a browser?

Ah well, that's the reality of living with monopolies. Windows has a near
absolute monopoly on the Intel side of things. Apple has an even bigger
monopoly on the Mac side of things (and isn't that much nicer (and sometimes
worse) than Microsloth about things like choice).

Eric.

>From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
>To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [muglo] Re: Default Browser & Mail (& OT Linux)
>Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:28:19 -0400
>

>On 3-Oct-04, at 4:51 PM, Eric D wrote:
>
> > 10.2 was what I was playing with at the time...
> >
> > Fascinating. Why would Apple intentionally make it hard to change the
> > default browser? (I realise they all do it (M$, Apple) so that you're
> > forced
> > to use their browser and do things their way.
>
>Only "forced to use" if you don't have the intelligence to ask how to
>change it, of course that encompasses most Windoze users. One of my
>clients was amazed when I showed him Opera & how to not use Lotus Suite
>WP; which can only be saved & read in .lwp format.
>TTFN,
>TeeC

SmartScreen Technology.

first two months FREE*.