[muglo] Re: Data transfer between computers

  • From: Jim Laycock <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:16:57 -0400

Rich,

on 7/21/03 2:07 AM, Rich at lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Jim Laycock,
>
>> Just run an ethernet cable between the two Macs and turn on file sharing on
>> one of the machines.  Connect from the other machine by selecting it in the
>> Chooser/AppleShare.  No router is required, and a standard ethernet cable
>> will do.
>
> Hiya Jim.  It will have to be a rollover cable.  Other than that, get a
> small 4 port 10BaseT hub, so that won't have to happen, which is also useful
> in the future.  Cheap cheap, borrowed, etc.
>
> Cheers

This was certainly true of the older machines, but the newer Macs (some G3s
and all G4s) have an auto-sensing ethernet port that can accommodate either
a straight-through or a cross-over ethernet cable.  I've sync'd from my G4
TiBook to new and old machines over a standard straight-through ethernet
cable many times.  No hub required.

-Jim