[muglo] Re: Airport Cards

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:55:55 -0500

Ok, let's back up a bit.

There are two Airports, Airport (802.11b; 11 mega bits per second
Mbps) and Airport Extreme (802.11g; 55 Mbps).

Airport "original" (AO) is the 802.11b standard and was used in Apple
Macs from 1999 to ~2002 (some 2003). Airport Extreme (AE) is a speed
upgrade introduced in 2002/2003. The slots that take AE and AO are
entirely different.

In 2004 Apple stopped selling Aiport cards which caused their value to
spike since a *lot* of people wanted to make their older Macs wireless
compatible, and, for iBooks and iMacs the Airport is their ONLY
_internal_ option.

For PowerBooks the choices are more varied since they have a PCMCIA
slot which means they can get wireless that way.

As for whether or not a SPECIFIC wireless card will or will not work
with your machine -- I would check the manufacturer's web site to see
if they have a driver. Alternately, ioxperts has a driver (20 USD)
that will support a million and one cards.

Eric.