[mswindowsxp] Re: Random Dial-UP

  • From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:13:11 -0800 (PST)

Run your Adaware and see if you have spywares...if you don't have it search for
it and install it. Also to prevent or minimize any future problems open
IE>Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab>uncheck both "Enable Install on Demand
(Internet Explorer)" and "Enable Install On Demand (Other)". Also in Internet
Options>Security tab>click Trusted Sites icon>click Trusted... button>if you
see names/addresses of websites there that you didnt put like aol or gator,
delete them. Also click Restricted sites icon>click Trusted... button>add sites
you know that are sponsors of spywares. You can start with
http://www.gator.com. Others here might suggest a few others. This is for your
future protection.

 Tom LeStrange <toml77@xxxxxxx> wrote:Help! Gremlins have taken over my
computer.
I am running WXP with a Dial-UP connection. My computer is randomly
connecting to the internet all on its own. The other day I found "Date
Manager" installed and I didn't download it. Is there any way I can
determine which program is doing the connecting. The last time this
happened to me I had a virus. I am running McAfee V7 Professional and it
does not detect any known virus. I also ran "Stinger" and no virus was
detected. The only way I can prevent this is to turn off the computer when
I am not using it.
Does anyone know what is going on?

Tom

Owner/Moderator of "My Computer Headaches"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/.
An oasis for the helpless, a gathering of the helpfuls. Be one or both.