[msb-alumni] Jim Morre's Funeral

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:29:29 -0400

BlankI attended Jim's funeral this morning.  It was packed with a lot of DSB
retirees, members of the local ACB chapter, as well as lots of family and
other friends.  Mary and Fred Wurtzel were there, Karen Carter, Fawn Scott,
Connie Grace, Donna Rose, Mike Hudson, etc.

Many touching stories from his grandchildren, his reader/driver, his stepson
etc.  (I said below I didn't know the Joe's name, but Bob Mahoney refreshed
my memory...Joe Memczak.  The celebrant was named Joe and was the supervisor
that interviewed and hired Jim.  Because he'd been a priest, Jim called him
Papa Joe.  He told the story of Jim and Peter going to the Michigan Ladder
Company to develop job prospects for the blind.  The owner didn't think
blind people could assemble the ladders so he challenged Jim.  Jim assembled
it as quick as the owner's best employees without any familiarity with their
production process, so a couple blind people got placed there.

Jim Buscetta told the story of when he was Jim's supervisor.  He said nobody
was a boss to Jim.  But, a client got a job and needed a Brailler in three
days.  They filed paperwork with the Department of Labor purchasing, but
Buscetta said that back then you never knew when or even if it would be
approved.  Jim said "don't worry, we'll make sure the client has a Braille
writer."

Later that day, Jim Buscetta walked by Jim Moore and Peter's cubicle.  I
don't remember Peter at all, his last name was Huette or something like
that.  Jim was standing on a chair lifting Peter up.  A ceiling tile was
askew.

A half hour later, Jim Moore walks into Jim Buscetta's office with a
Brailler in a hard case for the client.   A few days later, when Jim and
Peter were on the road, Jim Buscetta was curious about the ceiling tile.  He
went into Jim and Peter's office and raised up the tile.  He said they
must've had a warehouse of equipment up there.

Obviously, they had ordered stuff before and saved it in case they needed it
for an emergency placement.

I was proud to know Jim and keep Arlene in your thoughts.  She was real
strong at the funeral today.

Steve
Class of '72

GIF image