[mountainmilers] Re: yeah terri! Sub 5:00!!

  • From: "Terri Rashid" <terri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 13:26:59 -0700

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the well-wishes & to Tom and
Brooke for the updates!  My goal was to go sub 5:00, and I did make
that, though it might have been your good wishes that carried me through
the final miles.

While it's not correct race strategy, I have always "fallen apart" in
the last 10K of my marathons, regardless of how slowly I go.  So today
my plan was to build up enough of a buffer so that when I slowed at the
end I would still have a chance.  I started conservatively (as I always
do) and lost sight of the 5:00 pace group.  That was a bit discouraging,
but I caught up to them after the downhill around mile 4.  (I run
downhills way better than uphills.)  I had settled into a pace that
looked too fast by HR, but it felt OK with my legs, so I just decided to
stick with it.  I figured it was a long shot that I would make the sub 5
since my training runs lately (even the short ones) haven't been at that
pace, but I was hoping for some benefit from being at sea level.

And the weather really couldn't have been more perfect.  55F at the
start and overcast.  I was a little warm after a couple of miles (big
crowd and so the temp in the pack was probably warmer), but then it
started to mist lightly and that was perfect!

I was doing OK, and mostly focused on getting to mile 16, where there's
a long climb up onto the St. John's bridge.  I was planning to mostly
walk that, so it would be a bit of a mental break (and use up some of my
cushion).  I did that, and then got moving on the downhill on the other
side.  Once we hit the flatter portion there I started to think I didn't
have enough cushion.  My pace was starting to predictably slow, and it
was still a LONG way to the finish.  My goal became to see how many
miles I could make, while still being under the listed splits for the 5
hour pace.  (I had a pace band on my hand from the Red Lizard team that
was heading up the pace groups.)  I also wanted to see how long I could
hold on before being passed by the 5 hour group.  :>

I knew I had an uphill to mile 24 (climbing up to the second bridge to
re-cross the Columbia), and then another short uphill at the end, and I
expected to not even make the 24 mile mark on pace.  When I did, and
still had a several minute cushion, I began to think I *might* make it.
But I was feeling worse by the minute and was needing to take longer
walk breaks before I could get up the determination to run again.  I
started taking my caffeine Clif shots at a higher frequency, just to see
if I could manage to pull it off.  I hated the idea of making it to mile
24 under pace and NOT going sub-5 at the finish!

It wasn't pretty - especially between mile 25 and 26 (which felt like
FOREVER), but as I headed up the short hill away from the river, to the
final turn to the finish I knew I would make it in under 5 hours.  Rick
and the boys were on the sidelines cheering me on & I was SOOOOO happy
to be done.  And I am SOOOOOO sore now.  :<

On a brighter note - Rick and the boys did a great job on the Family 10k
- which runs the last 10K of the marathon course.  Amusingly they heard
the announcer call Rob Turpin's finish just before them, so they knew
he'd made it in about 3 hours.  :>  They really enjoyed getting to see
the elite / faster runners pass them as they were doing the 10k - very
inspirational.

Thanks again Mountain Milers - it was a real kick to come back to the
room and see all the updates on the race.  Especially since I haven't
yet downloaded my watch and so didn't even know my own finish time!

You guys are AWESOME!

.Terri