[mountainmilers] This goes out to Len McGee, my neighbor and running friend

  • From: Golfdood51@xxxxxxx
  • To: mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 14:42:32 -0500 (EST)

I stopped at Prescott High yesterday to walk a bit and Len, Jon,  Brenda
and Rob were there.  Len has  started up speedwork and near the end he took a
break and said something to  Brenda and me whereupon I mentioned Sportlegs.
After telling Len about Sportslegs  (Brenda uses them too), he asked what “
other” running secrets I have not shared  (laughingly).
Got me  to thinking that maybe I have not shared all of the items below
with  everyone.  So here goes…These work  for me, are only my opinions and just
like Chi running – take the stuff that  works for you.  I am nearly 61 and
I  am getting faster when all the age/time studies say I should be going in
the  other direction.   For those of  you that know me, you know I put in
the training – even the great ones have  to.  But technology is helping to
provide me with a small drink from the Fountain of Youth.
Here  ya go Len…
1)      Sportlegs.  Found out about Sportslegs from  Rob.  You can buy them
locally at  High Gear bike shop on Sheldon.  They fight the lactic acid
build-up in your legs when doing long  runs.  If your legs get tied up,  feel
like they are burning or get mega fatigued in long runs, try  Sportslegs.  I
am telling you Rob  and I swear by them.  Only need to  be taken on the long
runs - no need to take regularly.
2)      O2 Gold from Advocare.  Jessica L has tried this too.  I discovered
this at the WRM expo last  May.  Also only needs to be taken  when needed.
I pop a couple pills  about 2 hours before a run that I am sure will send
me to that terrible dark  region called “Oxygen Debt” where the anti-running
gods try to lure you back to  the couch…Helps my breathing which suffers
here from allergies (almost year  round anymore) and the tough hill runs at
altitude.  I remember taking an extra dose just  before the 7 mile Flagstaff
Snowbowl hill climb (7300 feet to 9500 feet) and  chuckling to myself all the
way up while thinking about “drug testing”– probably  the most fun race I
did all year!  I  get it from a website created by a local distributor named
Chris who also works  with Jessica at the YMCA.  I will  send the link to
anyone interested.
3)      NatraBurst.  Got hooked on this product early summer  also
compliments of Rob.  You can  buy it from a website that was set up for me by
the
company (One24).  You can sign up thru one of us and save  a few dollars and
it will come to you automatically ever month.  Stop the auto shipments
anytime.  Not cheap but so many natural  ingredients.  Something in there I
have
been missing because I have energy to burn and I sleep so much better.
Might not help everyone but if you feel  “off” a lot – this could be the
ticket.
4)      My concoction.  My invention!  I wear RaceReady compression shorts
not  because I want the compression for anti-cramping on my legs but because
of the  pockets in the back and the compression shorts (versus regular
shorts) hug  close, allowing me to put small bottles in the pockets without
bouncing around.  In the bottles I put the following ingredients to keep me
from
wearing down  during a long race or a long training run:
-1 packet of PowerBar  gel (I prefer this to goo’s because it is not as
thick. Berry or Strawberry but  Vanilla is fine too
-a capful of liquid  caffeine from a company called 5150. Not expensive at
all – available online at  www.5150juice.com
-an eyedropper full  of sublingual (liquid) B complex.  If the B-12
depletes from your body in the long runs, “Mr. Wall” may be  paying you a
non-fun
visit. I get this online via Walmart at _www.walmart.com_
(http://www.walmart.com/)  (spring valley  sublingual b-12 in 2OZ bottles).
Cheap
-I fill the rest of  the 4 OZ bottle with Gatorade G-2 (Raspberry Melon…
sometimes Orange – I just try  to get something that tastes good – so
experiment with this part).
5) Other.
-If you are going long, take electrolyte replacement  tabs early and often
enough.  Check  the ingredients label.  Some of them  are almost a sham with
minimal amounts of sodium and potassium.
-I wear lighter shoes that feel good for racing  only.
-Check out the Chi running style, there are only a few  things I focus on
but they have helped especially getting through rough  patches.
-Follow Len’s lead into doing some fast running.  If you run 6 miles per
day at a 12 minute  pace and up it to 10 miles per day at a 12 minute pace,
are you times going to  get a lot better?  Maybe a  little.  But still your b
ody doesn’t  know how to run faster.  You don’t  have to do it at the track.
 Incorporate speed into some of your runs…run 80-90% of your fastest speed
to that next tree..then later to that next telephone pole and then throw in
one  more to that police officer giving out speeding tickets at the bottom
of  Hassayampa Village Lane!
-There ya go Len – next time I see you passing me, you will  learn how a
senior citizen disrupts the competition – the ultimate  lesson!