[mountainmilers] January Progress Report

  • From: Terri Rashid <terri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:42:42 +0000

January was a great month of running for me.  I ran every day for a monthly
total of 116 miles.  That's my highest monthly total since August 2011 (almost
a year and a half ago) when I was in my high mileage stage of preparing for the
Portland Marathon.

I've been keeping my long runs conservative; my longest run this month was only
8.5 miles.  I've included two other quality workouts each week - typically a
tempo run and an interval workout.  All of the other runs are done at "easy" or
recovery heart rates, which I think has allowed me to run every day without
getting injured.  Plus I also managed to NOT get the flu, even though both of
my sons had it, and my ranch manager and her son.  So I feel like I am doing
VERY well this month.  :>

I've really enjoyed some of the sunny warm days that we've had this month.
Although I run in the morning, when the temps are still cold, I find if I layer
up appropriately I really enjoy getting out in the sunshine.  If it's cold
*and* windy though, especially if it's overcast too, then I make it a treadmill
run day.  The exception to that is if I am scheduled for a long run.  I do
those outside regardless.  (The one last weekend was in the rain & wind. :} )

I am still struggling with the mild PF in my left foot.  It is not as bad as it
was when I first mentioned it, but it does have some days better and some
worse.  I continue to use the roller on my calves and also do some foot and
calf massage.  I should probably ice it, but I never make the time.  (Nor do I
have a good frozen cylindrical container for the "correct" icing technique.
Maybe I will freeze a water bottle today...)

On the whole though I am *really* happy with how my training is going.  I've
already seen a drop in some of my running heart rates which is always
satisfying.  I need to remind myself now that the most pronounced changes like
that do occur in the first month(s) back in consistent training, so I need to
not get frustrated when I don't see as significant progress in HRs or pace in
subsequent months.

My 21 Day moving average for weekly mileage is sitting at 27 miles per week
right now.  I would like to keep on with my conservative mileage increases and
target having that 3 week moving average be around 30 to 32 mpw by the end of
February.  Right now the longest run I have planned in February is 11.3 miles,
but that's assuming a certain course.  If I run elsewhere then I would be OK
with anything up to 12 miles.  But I don't think I should go longer than that
next month.

Hope everyone else is having a great start to their 2013 running!

.Terri