[mountainmilers] 2012 (& 2011) Year End Running Reports, 2013 Goals

  • From: Terri Rashid <terri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 22:23:39 +0000

Dear Mountain Milers,

My NowDead running group (Northwest Dead Runners Society) has a long-running
(haha) tradition of members posting a note summing up their running for the
past year and stating their goals for the upcoming year.  It's really
interesting to see everyone's accomplishments and hopes/plans, and also to
commiserate with them on injuries or Life Events that have affected their
training during the year.  Not to mention it's amusing to me to go back to my
own previous years' messages many years later (I've kept messages of this kind
back to 2001).

So in that spirit, here is my 2012 wrap-up and my 2013 goals.  I would love to
see the same from other Mountain Milers.  :>

In summary, here is 2012, compared with the previous 4 years:

                                                2012                       2011
                      2010                       2009                       2008

Total Mileage:                   497                         942
         602                         608                         490

Highest Month:                111(May)             184 (Aug)             126
(Aug)             159 (Feb)             153 (Oct)

Highest Week:                  34.2                        42.5
       39.8                        43                           46.9

Weeks Run:                        40                           41
            36                           23                           --

Months Run:                      12                           12
           10                           7                              --

This year was actually a pretty low mileage running year for me.  For the first
half of the year I was intensely focused on making the US Endurance Team
(horseback riding) for the 2012 competition in Eustes Park, UK.  I did make the
long list for the team, but then my horse ended up being injured right before
the 2nd assessment in June so we could not continue.  Rick and I did fly over
to support my friends and the team at the international competition, and that
was very interesting.  But after the big push, then the letdown, I was kind of
worn out for a bit and didn't do much running.  I did some riding during the
summer in Montana, and also some ATVing there and when we came back here in
August.

I only ran in 3 races the whole year - the Colorado Half-Marathon in early May,
the Big Sky 4th of July 5K, and the Missoula Half-Marathon - also in July.
Rick did all 3 of those races with me which was lots of fun.

In contrast, 2011 was my HIGHEST LOGGED MILEAGE YEAR ever.  When we moved to
Arizona in April 2011, we had a string of bad luck with the horses - various
injuries and colic (that was apparently associated with the horses needing to
learn to drink, even when the cooler weather came).  This meant that I ended up
focusing more on my running during that time, plus I met all of you Fantastic
Mountain Milers!  Thanks for the warm welcome to the area - you guys are the
Best!

In 2011 I ran in more races than any other year - a total of 12 - including 2
marathons, 2 half-marathons and 8 shorter races.  Here's the list:

Skull Valley 10K

Whiskey Row Half Marathon

Chino Valley Springfest 5K

Big Sky, Montana 4th of July 5K

Missoula Marathon

Madison Half-Marathon (only 2 weeks later and runs at about 9000' elevation!)

Big Sky, Montana - Community Fair 5K

Chino Valley Territorial Days \

Jerome Hill Climb                        > These 3 were the Mountain Miler
"triple" weekend - lots of fun, though tiring!

Williams Mountain Man 10K /

Groom Creek Half-Marathon

Portland Marathon

Unfortunately in the week after Portland I managed to crack a sesmoid bone in
my foot which pretty much took me out of running (and horseback riding) for the
rest of 2011.  By the time that healed up, it was January 2012 and I was in
endurance competition mode.

So that's my last two years of running, since I didn't summarize at the end of
2011.  (I actually started to write it up, but never finished.)

2013 GOALS
==========

Typically I list 3 levels of goals for myself each year:  reasonable, stretch
and dream.

Just for comparison, here were my mileage goals for 2011:

"My 'reasonable' mileage goal for 2010 was 512, based on averaging my last 5
years of running while riding.  Since I did manage to make that, I am going to
do the same again for 2011.  Taking the average of my running from 2006-2010
gives me a reasonable goal of 518 miles.  My stretch goal will be 715 miles,
and my dream goal will be 1000 miles - both the same as last year."

I like trying to beat my 5 year average as a total mileage goal, so for 2013 it
would be 628 miles.  (The high mileage year in 2011 is going to make this much
tougher now since the *average* is higher than all but one of the years!!!)  I
am going to increase the stretch goal to 755 (which would beat my 3rd highest
mileage year ever) and my dream goal is 1000 miles.  Amusingly, that's been my
dream goal ever since I ran my first marathon back in 1999.

Since you guys don't have my running history like the NowDead folks do, here's
a quick summary going back before 2008.  I originally posted this in a note to
my NowDead friends back as part of my 2008 summary:

                                Total                      High Month
Comment

2007                       346                         111
   incomplete; Disney Marathon

2006                       541                         140

2005                       574                         205

2004                       ---
         focused on horses, no planned running

2003                       380                         138
   Skagit Flats Marathon

2002                       752                         173
   unofficial ultra (31 mi) on Tiger w/ Cheri, TonyC et al

2001                       931                         143
   missing around 20 miles I think

2000                       402                         89

1999                       707                         149
   Portland Marathon (first marathon)

1998                       104                         70

1997                       252                         130

I have a log for 1996, but I didn't bother totaling it.

Hope 2013 is a great year for everyone - both in running and in Life.

.Terri