<MP>Monday, 28 June 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:51:40 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0

   EARLY SIGN-UP DEADLINE ENDS AFTER 10 JULY
      PRICE GOES UP $100 AFTER THAT.

18-28 October 2010 - $2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse Brochure,
sign-up sheet & links to hotels are now available at the Web Site:
www.frpat.com

St. Irenaeus (130?-220)
The Church is fortunate that Irenaeus was involved in many of its
controversies in the second century. He was a student, well trained, no
doubt, with great patience in investigating, tremendously protective of
apostolic teaching, but prompted more by a desire to win over his opponents
than to prove them in error. As bishop of Lyons he was especially concerned
with the Gnostics, who took their name from the Greek word for "knowledge."
Claiming access to secret knowledge imparted by Jesus to only a few
disciples, their teaching was attracting and confusing many Christians.
After thoroughly investigating the various Gnostic sects and their "secret,"
Irenaeus showed to what logical conclusions their tenets led. These he
contrasted with the teaching of the apostles and the text of Holy Scripture,
giving us, in five books, a system of theology of great importance to
subsequent times. Moreover, his work, widely used and translated into Latin
and Armenian, gradually ended the influence of the Gnostics.

For more, follow this link:

Remember this, you who never think of God. ~Psalm 50

Another of his disciples said to him, "Lord, let me go first and bury my
father." But Jesus answered him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their
dead." ~Matthew 8:18-22

We worry a great deal about things of this world.  It's not that many things
aren't important, but we need to think about what is most important. God
calls us to Himself, and things are better when we follow His call.

I pray that I may not spend an inordinate amount of time and energy working
for things that do not last.  I pray that I may invest myself in loving
those around me and the things that last forever.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Nancy requests prayers for renewed energy and spirit for her aging Mother.
Joanne asks prayers for a special intention. Member asks for prayers for
grandson who has drinking and social problems and for all the lives and
livelihoods affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Judy request
prayers for her niece who is bipolar and recently gave birth to her second
child.

<MP>Morning Prayer is free, and is
Copyright XXM Father Pat Umberger,
a priest of the Diocese of La Crosse