[moneytalks] Re: low balance

  • From: John Gasman <jjgassman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 06:04:34 -0700

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the explanation.
The zero balance dates were different so I'll just leave it alone.
It is after all a minor problem.
Thanks again!
John
At 12:41 AM 10/9/2006, you wrote:
Hi John,

The sound is there because at the time of your transaction the balance went below zero. The sound is an audio indicator of the fact. It really is quite normal for this condition.

Now, if the date of your positive transaction is the same as that of the transaction which caused you to go negative, then you can place the credit above the negative transaction thereby removing the sound. To do this, position yourself on the transaction above the positive one, and use the swap command, F2. Remember this swap command will only work on transactions of the same date. Pressing the F2 key while highlighting a given transaction will swap it with the transaction below it. You can read about the swap command in the docs.

Alternatively, you can change the dates on your ttransactions such that the end result will be a correct balance, but the actual pattern of transactions is incorrect. This may prove to be difficult, depending on the complexity of your account, and it will give a false reading of the times of deposits and debits. I happend to have about four transactions in a personal checking account which are showing negative balances. In my case, it was because when I starting using money talks, I entered old transaction from bank statements to give a little bit of a past history, and found that I couldn't find all the past credits to balance out the debits correctly. No matter what I did, I couldn't make it balance correctly at the end, short of letting things be as they are. I'm thinking I could have adjusted the starting balance in the properties section or enter false credits, but I didn't want to bother with all that.

You might want to check the check box, "Insert Credits before Debits", under Options, Settings. This way, when ever you enter credits and debits with the same date, the credits will automatically appear above the debits in your register. This way you can minimize the use of the swap command.

Hope this is of some help.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Gasman" <jjgassman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>