[modular-debian] Avoiding both systemd and systemd-shim within Debian

  • From: Mike Bird <mgb-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 23:35:29 -0800

We have had some success by pinning five wheezy packages.

This avoids systemd, systemd-sysv, libpam-systemd, and even
systemd-shim.  Currently the only systemd package we still use
is libsystemd0.  Avoiding that will take somewhat more work.

If you wish to try this you'll need both Jessie and Wheezy in
your sources.list, including security updates.  Then you'll
need to put a file in /etc/apt/preferences.d that looks
something like the example below.

This works with the Jessie packages that we use on servers,
laptops, desktops, and VPSs.  YMMV may vary if you use different
packages.  The only DE we now use is TDE.

--Mike

# Block systemd except libsystemd0

Package: libpam-systemd systemd*
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: -1

# Pin some packages to Wheezy so we can avoid systemd

Package: consolekit libck-connector0 libudev0 policykit-1 udev
Pin: release o=Debian,n=wheezy
Pin-Priority: 950

# Debian Jessie

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,n=jessie
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,n=jessie-updates
Pin-Priority: 900

# We use TDE but I'm omitting that portion of this file

# Everything else

Package: *
Pin: release o=*
Pin-Priority: -10