[modular-debian] Re: 9P Angle (was: Goals and Starting points?)

  • From: "David L. Craig" <dlc.usa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:44:37 -0500

On 14Nov28:1259-0500, Marty wrote:

> We have to get rid of udev and dbus together, because they will be
> merged in kdbus. My problem is dbus because it goes everywhere and
> I wouldn't know where to start. From a systems integration standpoint
> my top questions are:
>
>  - Is it possible to start replacing dbus with 9p, starting with eudev,
>    then replace it in forks of the other big targets like login,
>    policykit and PAM? (Do the GUI parts last, maybe using a shim.)
>
>  - Can we develop a strategy to complete all this in a release cycle
>    plus 1 year (maybe 4 years max?)
>
>  - What is the status of 9p support in Linux? (9P_NET and 9P_FS) How do
>    they compare with 9p2000 and are they ready for prime time?

Those are good questions for the 9fans list.
Someone there must be well-positioned to comment.
Maybe the authors of the 9p.txt file in Documentation
(https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/9p.txt)
could provide enlightenment, too.

I do believe there is a lot of potential within and
without the kernel for 9P to enable wondrous new and
perhaps better capabilities, but I'm not yet an expert.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________