[modeleng] Re: electric arc welding matters

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:51:00 -0500

Clif,

The plastic cover lenses we buy over here in the States are made of pretty
stiff material and I would estimate that they are about 1/32" thick.  Glass
seems to attract molten metal from either welders or bench grinders and will
quickly ruin safety glasses or welding lenses. Having dug metal from bench
grinders out of my eyes several times I wear my reading glasses when
grinding knowing that they will become unusable in a year or two. Why sparks
are able to burn in and fuze with the glass, I don't know.  One would think
it would bounce away before it could adhere, but that is most definitely not
the case.

I may yet buy myself one of the auto darkening helmets now that they have
become so reasonable in price.  A lot of the welding I do is on stuff that
needs holding until the weld is started. Horror Freight has been advertising
them at a very reasonable rate, but I really hate to send any more money to
China.  They will soon be owning the USA at the rate we are doing one way
business with them.

Jesse