[modeleng] Track gauge and loco weight

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:44:16 -0600

Clif,
All five of my 7-1/2" gauge locos are on roll around work/ storage stands.
These can be rolled right up to my mighty Dodge Diesel PU truck and by use of a
short bridge section, rolled right off the stand and onto angle iron rails in
the truck bed.  Due to the smooth ride of the Dodge, I have never had to fasten
down any of the locos, but just use scrap sawmill blocks to keep them from
moving forward or backward.

My son and I did have to hand lift my Filer and Stowell over onto my work bench
this week so I could do repairs to major damage to the feed water pump
connections that were broken during a derailment last spring.  Now that was a
bit of heavy lifting, but the only time I have ever had to lift an engine off
the roll around stand to work on it.  Didn't really lift it so much as rolled
it off onto the bench.  NOW TO Get it back on the stand!!!

My little Falk #1 logging loco only weighs 77 pounds so is no problem to lift
and move even though it is 7-1/2" gauge.  The others range about 350 pounds
not Pounds Sterling!!) so require being handled differently.

Jesse in warm and sunny 53 degrees F Troy TN where I need to be grinding up the
leaves in the yard instead of answering e-mails!!