[modeleng] Steel Alloys etc

  • From: Jesse <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 15:12:55 -0500

Alan, et al,
  'nother thing is that 1018 alloy steel hardly ever gives a good
finish.  Using carbide tools does not help in the small lathes most of
us have which is why I use HHS tooling except when I run into cast iron
or some sort of hardened alloy.  Don't gots no tool post grinder and
most of my lathe tools are held in "lantern" tool posts.  Howsomever, I
do have a homemade four position turret that I use with form tools for
those musket ramrod parts.  Lathe is a 40 year old Atlas 12" with a 6
position tailstock turret of unknown make that I adapted to the Atlas.
Homemade "box tool" makes screw making a snap and I make a lot of gun
screws from 1/4" 12L14 steel.
Jesse in beautiful Troy, TN USA