[modeleng] Re: Solder vwas Odd Item

  • From: GWRdriver <gwrdriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:48:29 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

----Original Message-----
>From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
>Have you ever seen/used that heat resistant cloth that is used in the A/C
>business for this very thing (protecting thin sections while heating up
>thicker sections)?

Al,
No I haven't, and in this case what I will need to protect will be inside the
boiler and completely inaccessible.  In a few days I'll do a trial fitting of
the steam pipe assembly.  This will tell me if indeed the assembly can be put
in place through the steam dome hole and if so I can pre-solder it all and then
I think the air inside the barrel will be all the insulation I'll need to carry
off the rest of it.

I tried some plumbers heat shield in paste form a few years ago and it was
worthless.  I'm sure it has very good shielding qualities but it wouldn't stick
to copper and slid right off before I got anywhere near soldering temperature.
Harry