[modeleng] Small lathe and scroll-saw update

  • From: JEM HARRISON <jemharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:41:58 +0100 (BST)

I have now had a chance to have a closer look at the scroll-saw and the lathe.

  The scroll-saw needs a minor repair; the nipple on the balloon hasa
fractured, so I reckon either a replacement part would be required, or, where
the nipple has broken, a tapped 5BA hole could take a small brass adaptor.  The
broken nipple was stuck in the plastic tube, which at its other end joined on
to a piece of copper pipe, the function of this gubbins being to blow sawdust
away from the saw-blade.

  The Lathe measures 20-inches long.  The headstock centre is about 3.5 inches
above the gap and about 2.75 inches over the bed.  The tool-post is not a
four-way type as I had at first thought and neither is it bigger than the one
on my Myford!  There are two tool-holding positions: one side has a space for a
rectangular tool, currently a Sandvik tungsten carbon insert on a 10mm square
section bar; on the opposite side there is a round hole (10mm?), presumeably
for a boring bar.  The whole toolpost can be rotated through 360 degrees and
there are two mounting positions.  The toolpost measures 2-inches by 2-inches.
There are lead-screw, cross-slide and tailstock handles, but there are no
graduations on any of them.  The bed measures 12-inches by 1.875-inches and
there are four bolt holes for mounting onto a bench.  The three-jaw chuck is a
Pratt & Burnard of about 3.25-inches diameter, the four-jaw chuck is a Burnard
measuring approx 3.25-inches in diameter.  There is also
 a five-inch diameter face-plate that contains four independent jaws.  There is
a small drill-chuck on a morse-taper arbor in the tail-stock.

  The lathe is very clean and there are no traces of swarf.  The headstock
bearings are rock-steady.  I do not know the origins of the lathe, or its
'make'.  I do wonder if my friend, John, ever used it, as there is no motor
with it.  It just sat on a piece of mdf, (which was spotlessly clean before I
sprayed the lathe with wd40!), by his drawing board in his loft.  He was
probably planning to use it to build a live-steamer in 0 Gauge based on LBSC's
Mona design.

  If anyone can identify this lathe from my description, I should be grateful.
If I can find someone to photograph it digitally and transfer the image onto a
computer, then I could zap the image to anyone interested.

  Best wishes,

  Jem Harrison
  Basildon