[modeleng] Re: Rough Running

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:18:05 +0000

Hello Terry, Jesse and Allen,

Thanks for the ideas:

Lock up, probably not - it is slide valves and the drain cocks were wide
open.

It ran briefly, then got very stiff, eventually it would only turn the
wheels approximately 90 degrees.  (I was more concerned about one of the
safety's not lifting at the time!)

I suspect it's dissimilar materials.  As I bought it as a rolling
chassis, I haven't investigated the materials in the pistons and
cylinders yet.  That will be tomorrow's job.  Off with the end covers!

The fact that it runs fine on air,leads me to think its an expansion
problem.  It certainly ran freely enough without any steam in the cylinders.

Fortunately it doesn't need to move for the boiler test!

Cheers

Peter