[modeleng] Rotary tables

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 08:28:57 +0000

How much error is to be expected on a rotary table in terms of
eccentricity? With a #1 Morse tapor arbor fitted into the thing (the end
of the arbor is about 1 inch diameter) I get a peak to peak eccentricity
of 0.004 inches. Is this a normal level of error? The error does seem to
be mainly semi circular, although there may be a bit of quadrantal error
as well: that's a lot less, though.
I did have things a lot worse: the mounting plate supplied for the three
jaw chuck proved, on inspection, to not have had the holes for the bolts
holding the chuck down to have been counterbored sufficiently. As a
result, the chuck wasn't square to the table. Another reason why I'll
never go back to that supplier for anything but spares. A colleague who
had multiple problems with that firm now claims that the Hitchhiker's
Guide to the Universe worst curse of 'Belgium, man Belgium!' should
actually be 'C^&*$£ UK Limited'!

Peter Chadwick
Swindon