[modeleng] Oil Clacks

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Model Engineering List" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 22:09:21 +0100

I have always been told that we fit two clacks in the oil delivery from a
mechanical lubricator as "extra security" against water getting into the oil
reservoir. But, if this is the case, why don't we fit two clacks in boiler feed
pipes?
Could it be that the real reason we fit two clacks in the oil supply is that
the clack at the pump outlet is to enable the pump to work and the clack at the
other end of the delivery pipe is to prevent the pipe from emptying whilst the
locomotive is stationary?? (This would mean the cylinders would be starved of
oil when the engine first starts until sufficient running has been done to fill
the pipe).
Barrie Purslow
Warrington U.K.