[modeleng] Re: Hackworth Valve Gear

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:52:26 -0000

Hi John

I had to go a way and think about this for a few days, hence the delay in
replying!  But you are perfectly right, and in fact I've just been looking
at the diagram in Martin Evans' book.  He shows the crank on the back centre
(piston at end of stroke), with the slide in forward gear.  The eccentric is
on front centre, and the die block is halfway up the slide, in line with the
pivot.  In this position the valve is clearly open to lead steam, and it
wouldn't matter whether the engine was in forward, mid or reverse gear, the
die block would stay exactly where it is and the lead would remain constant.

All of this is only of academic interest, as my two locos either have or
will have Walschaert's gear, but it's good to have an understanding of
different types of motion.

Regards
Ron