[modeleng] Re: Fw: Re: Alumin(i)um and lead

  • From: "Dennis Jewitt" <dennis.jewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:26:56 +0100

Barry,
        I saw your answer first time round but fearing it OT did not
respond.
Anyway some web research appears to suggest material is used as
counterweights for balancing control surfaces as you suggest but also for
trim correction as Andy suggested.    One reference suggested that 1500kg of
DU was in the tailfin of the 747 that crashed at Amsterdam.   Appartently
the material is relatively safe until burnt when the resulting fine
particles cause problems.

Dennis Jewitt
Kent UK