[modeleng] Re: Finding dead centres on a loco

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:07:22 -0600

Charles,

There is an easier way to do the same thing with an engine with horizontal
crossheads.  Make a wooden block that you can place on the piston rod and
revolve the engine until the crosshead comes against the block.  Use a tram
to mark a spot on the drive wheel right at the tire rim and then revolve the
engine the other way until it again strikes the block.  Use the tram to mark
the drive wheel again at the tire line.  Use dividers to locate the place
exactly half way between the two marks and voila' there is your TDC.  This
is the way a lot of the 12" to the foot shop men did it as there is no deed
to remove the head this way.  The reason we took off the head of your engine
(Cli-Shay) was because it is vertical and a bit harder to hold a block on
the piston rod properly.

Jesse where it is snowing right now.

Stealing Jesse Livingston's thunder a bit here, he told me to pull the head
and put a nut on top of it (vertical engine).  Nut should be thicker than
the clearance between the head and piston at TDC.  Then crank clockwise
 until things stop, make an identifying mark, crank the other way until
 things stop, make a second mark.  Pull the head and remove the nut.
Halfway
 between the two marks is TDC.  Charles