[modeleng] Don Young designs

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:05:43 +0100

Hi all

I expect most of you are familiar with the magazine "Locomotives Large and
Small" that was published by the late Don Young.  I was browsing through
some old copies recently, and read something in issue no 52 that made my
eyebrows raise.

On page 14, Don makes a statement regarding his 02 0-4-4 tank design that I
find quite astonishing.  He says "...I had a sheet of ruled foolscap on
which scale dimensions were ruled in 1 in increments all the way up to 12
feet, using a scale of 1 in = 1 foot to gain room between the frames..."

In other words, Don is saying that he built his 02 to 1" scale instead of
the usual 1.1/16" scale.  On the face of it, his reasoning is sound, because
at 1" scale the frame plates are technically too far apart and so there is
more room for the inside motion.  Look at it another way though - it is
still a 5" gauge loco and there is still the same amount of "gubbins" to
accommodate between the frames, no matter what the scale of the
superstructure may be.

It seems therefore, that Don's 02 is 16/17th of the overall size it should
be!  Given that the prototype is around 30 feet long, that means Don's model
is only 30" long when it should be nearly 32" long.

Does anyone know if Don produced any other 5" designs to this smaller scale,
or was the 02 a one-off?

Regards
Ron