[modeleng] Could be useful

  • From: "Len Smith" <parnobal2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:38:30 +0100

I asked permission to forward JW Early's note that appeared on another list,
cos I thought there it might be useful to members.
Len Smith

As per recent discussion here is an updated list of the metal working related
groups I am maintaining at the current time. There are some others I have
contributed content to that are owned and moderated by others. These groups are
for educational purposes and not for personal profit whether for myself or
others. Because they are educational in nature discussion might drift to points
some might consider Off Topic because of the need to explain reality to some
who
might not have had a complete education or have been given altered information
that is wrong.

Archive group for the Geometer Beginners Workshop series from the mid 1950s and
the Hints & Tips series from the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Archive group for the Novices Workshop series from the early 1950s as well the
tutorial Chuck cartoons by Terry Aspin from the early 1960s are archived here.

Archive group for the useful hints and tips from Model Engineer that were
posted
on mlprojects.

Searchable indexes for Model Engineer magazine from 1939 to 1999. Also partial
indexes for some other magazines with metal working content. The one for HSM
and
PiM/MW are the most complete but not fully verified or commented.

Lathe modification and improvement articles for the MiniLathe and other home
shop machines.

Alignment, collets, fine feed ideas, tailstock mods and ideas and ideas for
quick change gearboxes.

Dials, reconditioning tricks and taper attachments.

Making keyways, spherical turning attachments, taper turning attachments and
worm gear attachments.

Attachments for milling in the lathe, threading and quick change or improved
tool posts.

An idea on how to make a flex shaft tool and the article archive for the Jeynes
series.

Discussion and aid with control and motor problems on the mini lathe.

Model building projects mostly related to I/C engines, plus some OT content
from
time to time as this group was originally started to draw the OT content away
from the 7x10 group.

I.C. engine projects.

Steam engines and related materials.

Steam engines and boilers

Steam traction and road going equipment.

Steam powered fire engines and pumps, also some interesting articles on
hydraulic
rams.

Some old clock building articles from ME and as well discussion on building
clocks and special tools and tricks for doing the job.

Metal working hints & tips for the beginner as well the more experienced user.

Mechanical drawing, measuring tools, cross drilling and pattern-making.

Duplex on threading and some other hints and projects from this super team.

Drill sharpening, tool sharpening, knurling and parting off.

Centering work, use of chucks and other work-holding devices and more
information
on tapping.

Some ideas for building your own lathe or improving the one you have.

Tools and ideas for the small shop milling machine and shaper.

Indexing, dividing and gear cutting on the lathe and mill.

Power hacksaws, saws and other secondary but useful shop equipment.

JWE
Long Beach, CA