[modeleng] Airbus 380 600 - Written Off

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:37:30 +0100

Hi All,
The other month there were some photos of the Airbus 380 Flightdeck which led
to some discussion about the computer controls.

Has anybody picked up on the brand new Airbus never flown on a paying flight,
that was written off without leaving the ground because the crew testing it
were overridden by the computer.
As I understand the story they were basically testing it on the ground with the
engines at full power. Because the engines were at full power the plane thought
that it was taking off, so the height from the ground alarm went off. The crew
disabled the height alarm so the plane then thought that it was flying.
Because the plane thought that it was flying it released the brakes, which sent
the plane off at full power through a concrete wall and down a drop.

Net result brand new $200 plane written off, but because the crew were Arabs
the whole thing has been hushed up so as to not embarrass Muslims.

I am just not convinced that computer controlled planes are safe.

Regards

Clif