[modeleng] Re: Acetylene Fire

  • From: IAN BRAMBLE <ian.bramble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:31:37 +0100 (BST)

The Lynton & Barnstaple carriages had an acetylene generator mounted on the end
of the carriages, which created acetylene gas by the process of dripping water
on to calcium carbide through a needle valve, as described by Dave. The
acetylene gas was then supplied to the lamps through copper pipes run along the
the roofs of the carriage. They used one generator to supply two carriages,
connecting them together by a rubber tube.
Go to
http://www.009.cd2.com/lynton_and_barnstaple_modelling/L&B%20Coach%20Notes.pdf and
 scroll down to page 11.
Ian