[modeleng] Re: 7.25" gauge L&B, Hunslet drawings and boiler construction

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:28:23 +0100

Rich,
I suggest taking a brief holiday at Launceston and visiting the railway
there.
They have several Hunslets and Nigel, the owner, is also an enthusiast and
will give you lots of information on them, plus allow you to look,
photograph, measure, etc. (And if you are lucky, drive one on its normal
run.)
There is also one at Amberley Museum, that one can measure etc.

(I know there are several in Wales and other places, but dont know about
access.)
Now, not being an expert on Hunslets, I cant say how their various models
differ, but I bet that, like all makers, they had many common features, so
seeing any of them "close up"  is sure to help.

Also, Hunslets still exist.
They may have copies of old drawings in their archives, or else might know
where they were deposited.

Moving on to your questions, given that the frame is 8ft long, and with the
weight at almost a ton, I would think that substantial frames were
essential. 20mm? About 3/4", which doesnt sound unreasonable.

Cant help with the other questions.

Alan