[MoAccess] XSpanded factory bank now available for Motif XS

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 02:28:53 -0500

Hi everyone.

Those of you that read the Motifator site know that Yamaha has been
releasing new free voices for the XS. I know that everyone here is not
comfortable with loading individual voices and banks, so I've taken the
Yamaha offerings and assembled this all file for list members with a
Motif XS.

What you get:

This is an "all file". An "all file" contains a complete snapshot of the
way that a Motif is setup: all system and sequencer settings, voices,
performances, master setups, songs, patterns, and samples. Loading this
all file will set your Motif XS up with factory settings and all default
factory content loaded, just as if you had performed a factory reset.
However, instead of the 3 user voice banks being filled with copies of
the internal presets, they will now be filled with 384 entirely new
voices based off of over 380MB of new samples, which will also be
loaded. This affectively doubles the stock factory sample content in the
XS.

Some of the new voices include:

The S700 piano (a more mello sounding piano than the built-in piano),
together with rhodes, string, and pad layer combinations

Lots of new brass, including new multi-velocity saxes, baritone sax, new
horn sections, etc

New string ensemble voices

Several new choirs, including velocity-sensative jazz "scat" choirs

Many new digital/analog hybrid sounds (AKA Roland D50)

Many new vintage synth sounds, including new stereo sync waveforms with
long loops

Laravy and Taylor 6 string, and Martin 12 string acoustic megavoice
guitars

Telecaster, Les Paul, and Grech electric guitars (multi-sampled)

Hofner, K5, and jazz electric basses

Accordions (several reed variations, no longer a single accordion voice
in XS)

64 new assorted ethnic instruments

New organ voices

New harpsichord

Running with this all file loaded will take up all of your user voice
memories, but it will more than double your XS's sample set from the
stock 355MB built-in to a whopping 737MB. You'll also now have a total
of 1,536 instrument voices. If you're the type of person that doesn't
create many voices of your own, you can load this right in and pretty
much max out your Motif with lots of ready to use voices.

I think that these sounds are particularly useful since they're quite
different than what is built-in. The built-in guitars are great, but,
after hearing the same guitar through different effects, you often find
yourself wishing for a different basic tone. With the new acoustic and
electric guitars, for example, there is now a significant variety of
multi-sampled guitars available in the XS. Same thing about the S700
piano. The built-in XS piano is very realistic, but kind of bright, and
all of the built-in presets can only do so much about that. The S700
piano is a welcome high quality alternative. In other areas like
accordion, the XS has practically nothing built-in, but it now has a
full set of variations. All-in-all, this is a very nice collection to
fill in the holes of what is missing in the built-in voices, and I think
that you all will enjoy it.

What you'll need:

You need an XS with 512MB or 1GB of sample memory. 256MB is just not
enough to load in the entire set.

You need a 512MB or larger USB flash disk.

You also need the file below.

http://www.moaccess.info/files/XSpandedFactory.x0a

To load:

Caution: Loading this file will completely erase anything that you have
currently saved in your Motif XS. To keep from losing your work, please
backup your Motif to your own all file. Once you've backed up the Motif
to an all file, you can load this file, and, if needed, return to your
own setup later if needed. I suspect, though, that you will probably
want to leave this all file loaded, and start recording new songs in
this all file, taking advantage of the new instrument voices.

So, to load this all file:

1.       Copy the file to your flash disk.

2.       On the XS, press File, sf2, and then the increment button.

The XS should seem to freeze up/the keyboard won't respond. This is
because the XS is loading samples. It will take about 2-3 minutes to
load in the complete file.

Remember that samples will disappear when you turn off the power to the
XS, so you must load this all file each time you power on the Motif. For
this reason, I suggest that, if you decide to begin working with this
file, you develop the habbit of saving the Motif's memory back in to the
all file at the end of the day if you have recorded any songs, edited
any performances, or otherwise changed anything. That way, when you
later load the all file back in to the Motif, you'll have your changes,
also. It is also possible to set the Motif up to automatically load an
all file when it is powered on, but I'm not going to go in to that here.

To save the Motif's memory back in to this all file:

1.       Press File

2.       Press SF1

3.       Press enter

4.       Press increment

The Motif won't freeze up while it is saving. You'll be able to hear the
keyboard when you play it. However, you'll know that the Motif is saving
because you're unable to switch to other modes (like Performance mode).
Once saving is complete, you'll be able to switch to other modes, and so
you'll know that your data has been safely saved, and it is safe to turn
off the Motif.

One final remark. I'm pretty busy lately, and so won't be responding to
messages asking for help with saving or loading all files. I put this
file together to help out the list, so I'd appreciate it if the list
could help each other when it comes to loading this file, how to back up
your data, etc.

Thanks, and I hope that you enjoy.

Bryan