[MoAccess] Private Messages

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:25:40 -0400

Hi everyone.

I regularly get messages off-list from people needing help with the
Motif. I push them to ask their question on the list instead of writing
to me directly. I want you to understand why I do this, and that it
isn't anything against you in particular.

First off, you'll have a better chance at getting a faster answer if you
write to everyone, and not just me. Case in point, this last week, I've
been working 12-14 hour days, going back to a hotel, and passing out. I
haven't had hardly any time available for e-mail. I have several
requests from people in my in-box, and I'm just now getting to the point
where I'm able to write back. Maybe someone on the list can help you,
and maybe they can't. However, I read the list, so, if someone else has
not answered you, and I'm able, I will. If you write me directly,
though, you may be waiting longer than would have been necessary if you
just asked the list.

Secondly, asking the list is good because, even though your question is
asked because you're having a problem, its very likely that someone else
is having the same issue. If you ask it on the list, and someone answers
you on the list, then other people can benefit from your question. Since
lots of people will see the discussion at once, this cuts down on the
time that we all have to spend with re-typing the same answers.

Lastly, when you post to the list, the discussions are archived at
FreeLists. This means that, as we talk about something on this list,
we're preserving the discussion on the web so that people can find it
later on by searching with Google and other tools. At the moment, Google
doesn't give you much info when you search for blind-related stuff about
the Motif, but posting on this list will help to fix that, as Google
indexes FreeLists.

Bryan