Re: [MoAccess] question about editing motif sounds

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Omar Binno" <omarbinno@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:21:38 -0500

Hi Omar.

Please send these questions to the list, instead of directly to me. I
don't mind answering, but I'd like others to be able to read it, and I'd
like to have my explanations archived so that I don't have to type them
over and over.

There is no difference between operating the knobs and sliders on the
Motif, and making the changes in the menus. The knobs and sliders just
give you a way to make quick adjustments with out having to dig into
menus. You only have to dig into menus when you want to edit the little
details.

Here is an example on the XS when editing voices. Bare with me while I
go through a little background, as this will make things clearer. Every
voice has what are called off set controls. These are settings that
modify characteristics of the entire voice. Although there are 8
elements per voice, and each of those has its own envelope generator for
controlling changes that happen to the volume, filter, and pitch, you
can use the off set controls to adjust every elements' envelope at once.
So, if you have a synth voice, and you want a slower attack, you can
just turn up the attack time on the off set envelope, and each of the
elements in the voice will be adjusted to have a longer attack. If
you're in voice mode, and you press F3, then you are shown the envelope
off set screen. You can apply a global off set here for both the
amplifier (volume), and filter envelopes of all elements at once. Of
course, you can arrow to values and change them, but, if you put the
Motif's knobs into Tone1 mode, and turn the third knob (attack), then
you'd see the attack settings for the amp and filter envelopes changing
at the same time. The knob is directly connected to what is happening on
this screen. You could use the attack, decay, sustain, and release knobs
to change the attack, decay, sustain, and release values that are shown
on this screen. However, the knobs change both envelopes at once. If you
wanted to change only one of the envelopes, then you'd actually need to
come to this screen. Also, this screen has other settings, such as depth
controls for both the amp and filter envelopes, and those aren't
available through any knob.

The envelope generator off set screen is pretty easy to get to. You just
need to press F3 in voice mode to call it up. However, some controls
access parameters that are very deep in the menus.

Bryan