Re: [MoAccess] Dropbox share

  • From: "john coley" <johncoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:52:50 +0100

Hi Bryan, the link's giving me a 404.
                   John.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:51 PM
Subject: [MoAccess] Dropbox share

Since letting someone on the share means that they can edit anything, those of you that are on the share now are basically editors/contributors. I trust you all enough to add something to the folder for everyone else if you think that it would be useful. If you're not sure how something should be set up/located, or if you have a concern about the files, then send a message here. Everyone else that is on the share is on this list.

For everyone else, though, we obviously can't add everyone to the share. However, I've worked out, what I think, will be a good solution.

If someone wants the files on the share, then one of us should just zip up the entire MoAccess share folder, put the zip file in to our public folder on Dropbox, and post that link. For example, I've done this, and here is the complete contents of the share as of this morning:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6427076/MoAccess.zip

Those of us that are on the share will always have the latest files. However, once we're sure that what's on the share is stable, then we can zip it up, and post the zip file in a public folder.

Of course, posting a zip file, plus having the MoAccess folder in your dropbox, eats up twice as much space. I'm fine for using my public folder to host the zip file. However, no one need wait on me, or feel like I'm slowing things down. If someone requests the latest files, and I can't update my zip file, just zip up your MoAccess folder yourself, and post the link to it.

As far as I can tell, Dropbox doesn't place any download limits/quotas on your account. So, if one of us posts a zipped up version, and a thousand people download it, it won't cost us anything extra.

So, several people can help with editing the content, any changes can be discussed here, and it is a simple matter to publish the current version for as many people as would like to download it.

I think that this will pretty much solve our sharing problems for a while.

Bryan

For links to all Motif info for blind owners, visit www.MoAccess.info.
To change your list options and view archives for the MoAccess list, visit www.freelists.org/list/moaccess.