[missbirdphotos] Re: latest pics

  • From: Larry Pace <larrypace64@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:54:32 -0700 (PDT)

I prefer behavior shots of birds but could not resist this beautiful "woodie" in full breeding foliage. This was an early morning shot just as the sun peeked over the trees and lit up the bayou. Distance is still a problem as far as sharpness is concerned.  This was shot with the canon 100-400 zoom plus 1.4 tele extender braced on the blind ledge (manual focus).

Now an observation test for all of you. As you all have experienced, there is something in this photo that only became apparent after downloading to the computer. Do you see
the "sore thumb"?

Larry

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:34:11 -0700
From: dr_frank_hensley@xxxxxxxxx
To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Larry,

Since most birds move fast, high shutter speeds can be essential to freeze action and prevent blur. But since big lenses are so dark, and light varies so much from one perch to the next, I like my camera to adjust ISO, aperture, and shutter on the fly. I think it increases my odds of a sharp shot, with a reasonable compromise between noise (high ISO) and depth of field (wide aperture).

It has taken me a long time to figure out how to get my Nikon D60 set up so it is doing the exposure adjustments in ways that I want it to. I shoot in the Variable Program mode with ISO going no higher than 800 and shutter no slower than 1/125th. Under darker conditions the camera will keep the shutter speed at 125th and raise the ISO. Under brighter conditions, the camera will keep the ISO at 100 and compromise the shutter and aperture. With enough light, I can turn the command dial to the right on the fly if I want faster shutter and shallower DOF, which is more often the way to go for birds. Or I can dial to the left and get slower shutter and more DOF, which I prefer for insects.

At least, that's what I THINK I've got set.  But every now and then when I'm navigating the menus or shooting, I get confused about what I see.  Still learning. But I know the camera is way smarter than I am when it comes to exposure!

-Frank

From: larrypace64@xxxxxxxxx
To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [missbirdphotos] latest pics
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:09:41 -0500

 Pied Bill Grebe and lunch

 Pied Bill Grebe

 Latest photo endeavors from blind at Stillwater Bayou--Dahomey NWR

Larry