[missbirdphotos] Introduction

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 08:46:49 -0500

Thanks so much for setting up the list-serve, Frank! My name is Robert Smith.
I've been carrying a camera around in the woods for 20+ years now photographing
all kinds of critters & their habitats.  It started out as part of my work as a
biologist, then became a hobby as well, and lately the hobby and work have
re-merged as I help other folks take pictures.  For the last several years,
I've co-lead photo tours focusing on birds and reptiles/amphibians.  Most of
them have been in Gary's wonderful backyard in McLeansville, NC, but we've also
taken folks to Little St. Simons Island in Georgia, and the Solon-Dixon Center
in southern Alabama.  Now, however, I'm in the process of moving to coastal
Mississippi.  Gary and I will continue to work together on several photo tours,
but other than the currently planned projects, our future plans are in flux.

I personally shoot Nikon gear (though I'm familiar with Canon & other systems
as well).  I have Nikon D3 and a Nikon D300s bodies that I pair with 600 mm and
400 mm lenses (along with teleconverters/extension tubes as necessary).  I also
use flash with and without fresnel flash extenders as needed/appropriate.  I
enjoy photographing wild birds "as found", but will also set up special blinds
with special perches to get a more attractive shot - especially for "feeder"
birds. I'm delighted to find a number of nature photographers as I return to
Mississippi!  Please feel free to check out my website at:
http://www.photobiologist.com .
Robert Smith

336-339-3497

rsmithent@xxxxxxx