[missbirdphotos] Beware of cheap filters with certain lenses

  • From: "Judy Howle" <howle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Judy Howle" <howle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:27:23 -0500

I wouldn't use a cheap filter with any lens because that could degrade the
quality of the image.  I use B + W filters which have brass fittings instead
of aluminum because I have seen them recommended by many top photographers
in webinars I've watched. Other high quality "Pro" quality filters are
manufactured by Hoya, Heliopan, and Singh-Ray.  As Roger points out, the
same manuf. may also produce low-quality filters and some have other brand
names.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/10/bad-times-with-bad-filters

Probably none of you use cheap filters but this is good to know.  It applies
to thin and ultra-thin filters used with lenses with protruding front
elements. His other linked article is also eye-opening
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

Judy Howle

Southern Exposures Photography

http://southernexposure.zenfolio.com

Digital Photography Class; photography information and resources

http://digitalphotographyclass.net