[missbird] Re: White Pelicans

  • From: Jason Hoeksema <hoeksema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Diane Lafferty <dlaffert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:59:21 -0600

Diane & Scottie,
There are typically at least a few (and sometimes more) American White
Pelicans within reasonable photographic distance at the spillway from
Sardis Lake dam into Lower Sardis Lake (Panola County). Birders and
photographers can closely approach the spillway from either side (north or
south).  Also, there is often a group of pelicans loafing on the beach just
west of the spillway, on the north side of lower lake. This area can be
reached by walking from the parking areas near the spillway or further
west. The Sardis Dam area can be reached from Hwy 35 from Batesville, or
from Hwy 315 if you're coming from Oxford or from Memphis.  In winter, this
is also usually a nice spot to photograph Bonaparte's Gulls, sometimes
other gull species, Pied-billed Grebes, and sometimes waterfowl.
Good birding,
Jason Hoeksema
Oxford, MS